Story by Tim Cotroneo
You’re aching to play someplace new and Caribbean golf has been on your radar for years. You’ve read that the Turks and Caicos Island of Providenciales hosts one of the most stunning beaches in the world. Does Turks and Caicos also have a golf course to match the beauty, the style, and the island hospitality of legendary Grace Bay Beach?
Provo Golf Course opened in Providenciales in 1992. Ever since this 6700-yard layout made its debut, Provo has developed a loyal following of admirers from around the globe.
Nowhere is this international admiration society more evident than when golfers glance up at the vaulted ceiling of Provo’s spacious clubhouse. Golf flags from the world’s most famous courses are on display to remind visitors that Turks and Caicos golf is a melting pot of nationalities, tradition, and newfound friendship.
Here are 5 reasons for making Providenciales your next golf retreat.
1. Located just an easy three wood from Provo Golf Club’s entrance is Grace Bay Beach. This five mile stretch of pearl white sand embraced by turquoise water is a beachcombers’ dream. If you like the beach, prepare to be awed when experiencing Grace Bay for the first time.
2. Spectacular oceanfront hotels are a way of life in Providenciales. When Provo first opened for business, sleepy Providenciales had just three hotels on Grace Bay Beach. Today, you’ll find over two dozen hotels from which to choose, as well as a plethora of villas if you desire to get away from it all.
3. Beach diversions abound in Providenciales. The island features the third largest coral reef in the world. If you love snorkeling, scuba, yachting, kiteboarding, and paddleboarding, this 38-square mile island is as good as it gets.
4. Foodies will discover that Providenciales offers a wealth of eclectic restaurant and beach bar options. Fresh seafood, Italian, Thai, steak, sushi, Teppanyaki, and the island’s trademark conch, offer best in Caribbean cuisine options.
5. Convenience is king when choosing Turks and Caicos for your next vacation. American, United, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, Air Canada, and British Airways all fly non-stop to Providenciales International Airport (PLS.)
Reasons, Rounds, and Rum
You’ve tallied a multitude of reasons for choosing Providenciales as your vacation destination. What can you expect the first time you tee it up at Provo Golf Club?
The conditions at Provo Golf Club are stellar and this year’s track includes brand new Platinum Paspalum fairways. Provo’s golf environment features hundreds of palm trees, conch shell tee markers, a handful of pink flamingos, and enough easy access rum to remind you that you’re in the Caribbean.
What else can you expect beyond golf? You’ve heard the buzz on how Providenciales extraordinary beach setting is a magnet for attracting the rich and famous. If you quizzed Provo’s longtime Golf Professionals Dave Douglas and Sean Wilson on this subject, you’d receive a sheepish shrug. That’s because these Ontario natives believe that Provo’s unassuming ambiance is why screen stars and professional athletes feel comfortable blending seamlessly with the golfer next door.
Clubhouse New Friends
On the back nine you strike up a conversation with a golfer from Great Britain who introduces you to his mates from Australia and New Zealand. These golfers liked Providenciales so much the first time they now call the island home. Their parting comment was, “See you in the clubhouse. “
After a glorious round of Caribbean golf, you head to Provo’s Fairways Bar and Grill clubhouse to rehash your round. You wave at the “mates” you met on the back nine, and acknowledge the array of international golf flags poised from the ceiling. That’s when Provo’s signature easy camaraderie kicks it up a notch.
Your foursome hoists a locally brewed Turk’s Head Beer, followed by a Bambarra rum cocktail. That’s when you realize you’re speaking the universal language of golf. When exchanging toasts amongst friends in Provo’s clubhouse, we all wave the same flag. That’s especially true when you’re just a three wood from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
For more visit: www.provogolfclub.com